Pages

Friday 29 November 2013

Casual Lunch at the Highlevel Diner

This past Tuesday November 26, we both had the afternoon off and decided to get together for a quick, casual lunch at the Highlevel Diner. Steph had never been, but Jackie recommended it highly and the vegetarian options looked promising so off we went. The diner boasts a great location just off the west end of Whyte Ave near the University of Alberta with a view of downtown, and is proud of its local cuisine, daily specials and 29 year history.



Note: For our formal reviews, we've broken down our experience into three categories: ambiance/service, taste/presentation, and value for money. At the very end we have an overall rating and our final verdict.

Ambiance and Service


Jackie: This quaint little diner has a beautiful view of the Edmonton Skyline but the dim lighting makes seeing your food/your companions a challenge. The ambience is exactly what you would expect in a diner but the service was lackluster. I will say that our water was never empty but the person who came around to give out water treated us like thirsty houseplants. Never a word or a smile was offered. Our server was absentee and casual, having to be prompted to remove finished meals and needing a paper to remember the specials. This is the kind of service you would expect in Denny’s not a reputable diner that has earned its way onto a list of Edmonton hotspots.
Rating: 2.5/5 

 

Steph:  The atmosphere at the Highlevel is definitely cozy, with lots of wood paneling and charming stained glass. The walls are covered with gorgeous art by Alberta artists, which is all for sale (and certainly not cheap!). I agree with Jackie, our service was friendly but very casual, and if we had been in a rush the slow speed of our constantly disappearing server would have meant trouble.
Rating: 3/5


Taste and Presentation


Steph: It was a chilly Edmonton afternoon, so we both opted for classic comfort foods. I ordered the Spinach pie with fries ($17) and Jackie ordered the Meat Sandwich of the day which was a triple decker grilled cheese with ham with fries ($13). I was very pleased with my choice, which was huge; the piping hot feta, onion and spinach filling was wrapped in a perfectly cooked phyllo crust, and came with a generous helping of crispy fries on the side.

I really liked that Highlevel Diner makes their own homemade spicy ketchup, which added an extra kick to the fries.

 For dessert I ordered a half portion of the Homemade Bread Pudding ($7.95 regular, $5.50 half), which was absolutely amazing! The pudding (made from their famous cinnamon buns) was hot and gooey, drenched in a delicious brown sugar bourbon sauce, and served with a side of real whipping cream. I would come back just to have this dessert! 
Rating: 4/5

 Jackie: I must admit that until this point I had never ordered a grilled cheese sandwich of any kind in a restaurant, but I went out on a limb and decided to give it a try. What arrived was a sandwich on regular store bread that was improperly toasted and lacked the gooeyness that is essential to a delicious and caloric grilled cheese sandwich. I make these better at home! What I got for fries were small bits and pieces that required me to use my fork to pick them up and a ton of additional salt and pepper. 




The only redeeming part of this meal was the Coconut Mango Tartufo ($6.50) I had for dessert. The taste was amazing but the way they cut it made it look like a hardboiled egg swimming in a bowl of whipping cream.


Rating: 2.5/5

Overall Value


Steph: While I enjoyed my meal, I think the prices were quite steep for what we received. I wasn't expecting a lunch at a diner to cost over $50 for two entrees, desserts and a tip. That said, I appreciate the effort they make to use local foods as much as possible, as well as their many options for vegetarians and their Celiac friendly menu.
Rating: 3/5

Jackie:
This place is quite expensive for the quality of the food. My total bill was over 20.00 for a grilled cheese sandwich and a glorified scoop of gelato. The meat sandwich of the day is 12.99 and was one of the few options for anyone on a budget. As Steph pointed out, their Chai Lattes are more expensive than Starbucks and the average entrée is 17.99. This place is a flop for overall value and I would hesitate to try my luck again.
Rating: 2/5


Total Rating: 17/30

Verdict: Definitely visit this cute diner for dessert, but if looking for great value or exquisite cuisine, this isn't the place. We'll be happy to go back and try the Highlevel Diner again, but despite the hype the experience didn't wow us.

 Highlevel Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment